Common adult conditions

Common mental health disorders include depression, generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and social anxiety disorder.

Primary care - Your GP

Primary care is usually the first port of call for people with mental health problems and plays an increasingly important role in developing and delivering mental health services. Following an appropriate assessment which may include some diagnostic tests, the person may be offered appropriate evidence based interventions, ranging from active monitoring and guided self-help through to higher intensity interventions such as psychological therapy offered within primary care (see IAPT section below). Additionally pharmacological interventions may be offered.

Depending on the complexity of symptoms they may be referred to another service, such as the Community Mental Health Team, for further assessment and/or treatment.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

If you feel that you may be experiencing symptoms of depression, anxiety or other common mental health conditions your GP may refer you for Talking Therapy. You can also refer yourself directly.

You can access Talking Therapies for common mental health conditions from the following places:

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) is an NHS programme rolling out services across England, offering interventions approved by the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) for treating people with depression and anxiety disorders. The service will offer advice, information and brief psychological talking therapies for people who are often feeling anxious, low in mood or depressed. It is aimed at people aged 16 and over. You can find out more about IAPT here.

Community mental health services

Most mental health problems don't need a psychiatrist. A GP can give support, prescribe antidepressants or refer to a counselling or psychotherapy services. However, if the person's problems are more complicated, their GP may want to refer them to a community mental health service. These are teams of mental health professionals and they are spread across the Birmingham area. Each team has several types of workers with different knowledge and skills. They will each understand how the others work and will understand how to tackle problems together.

Noticed an error or broken link? Let us know